martes, 4 de marzo de 2014

Mary of Montpellier.

Countess of Montpellier, Countess Consort of Barcelona and Queen consort of Aragon.

Marriage and descendants.

- 1192. Ramon Gotfried Viscount of Marseilles, who died that year. They had no offspring. 
- 1197. Bernardo Conde Comenges IV. Who repudiated in 1201. children: 
     - Matilda of Comenges and Montpellier. 
     - Petronila. 
- 1204. King Peter II of Aragon. children: 
     - Prince James of Aragón. King James I of Aragon. 
     - Princess Sancia of Aragon. Countess consort of Toulouse.

Biography.

At age 11 she was married to Ramon Gotfried, Viscount of Marseilles. In 1197, the young Mary, widow, and her father gave her in marriage to Bernard, Count of Comenge, intending to give her away from Montpellier and delegitimized the inheritance to his son, the Catholic Church (William of Toulouse).

She divorced in 1201, shortly before the death of her father, married King Peter II of Aragon and the inhabitants of Montpellier drove his illegitimate brother of the count's power, restoring her rights as Countess of Montpellier. The King of Aragon and Countess of Montpellier approved important privileges and communal autonomy of the city. In 1205, Peter promised his daughter Sancia with Count Ramon IV of Toulouse, against the will of Mary shortly after King Peter II of Aragon wanted a divorce to marry Mary of Montferrat, heir to the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Mary claimed this to the Pope in Rome, where she died in April of 1213.

Mary of Montpellier as the writer Desclot.

The chronicler Bernardo Desclot explains:

"It happened that the king had long not made ​​love to his wife, and after a while, when the king was in a near Montpellier castle, loved and had for loving a woman in great condition, very fine, his advisor (a good and loyal man), knowledgeable in these issues, leading to the castle.

The Queen Mary found out and sent for the steward of King once before she told him :

- Friend, I have done to come because I know you are a loyal and good man I can trust , I ask you to help me in what I say . You know that my husband , the king, does not want to be with me in the same bed, which thing I am very upset , why has not born from my womb , a baby boy who would be the heir of Montpellier . Is that the king has a relationship with a woman who comes occasionally to the castle, and that you are his confidant . I ask you , when you bear to women, you come to me privately and I bear to the King's room instead of that woman , and I 'll get into your bed. What we have to do in the dark, is that there is light , telling the king that she desires and as such it is not known . And I have faith in God that night , engender a baby will be a great asset and a great honor for the whole kingdom.

- Majesty (Butler said), I'm willing to do whatever you wish, especially in matters of your honor and profit. Be sure I do not say anything to anyone, but I'm afraid of the wrath of the king. 

- Dude ( said the queen), fear not, because I will do everything so that you will have as much honor as you have not ever had. 

- Majesty (again said the butler), thank you! know that I will do everything you command, and as well, do not we delay more. Now get ready for the king has asked me to take him tonight to the castle the woman who you know. I will come to seek and quietly bring you to the castle, enter into your room and you already know what you should do.

- Dude ( said the queen), I am very pleased that you say me. Go ye therefore, and think about what you have to do tonight come get me. 

Butler said goodbye. 

In the evening the king asked him to take the woman to spend the night with him in bed. Butler said:

- My King, soon, but I have to say one thing she asked me, she prays that it is not viewed by anyone, man or woman, or maiden. 

The king replied: 

- You, do the best you can, I want everything she wants. 

The loyal man went looking for the Queen and with a maiden and two knights, led to the King's room and left her there. She undressed and got into bed of the king before but did turn off all lights."



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario