The Catalan cream is amply documented in Catalan literature. It appears in the Catalan medieval cookbooks and is considered one of Europe's oldest desserts in its class.
- 1 liter of milk.
- 4 egg yolks.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch.
- Cinnamon stick.
- Lemon rind.
- 200 grams of sugar.
- Heat the milk with cinnamon and lemon rind and incorporated.
- In a bowl, beat the yolks with the cornstarch and sugar.
- Pour the milk over the mixture whisking.
- Put the mixture into the fire, without boiling, until thickened.
- Distribute clay pots and let cool.
- Put a layer of sugar on top and burn it with a match or a torch.