The origin of the cake Reyes appears related to the Roman Saturnalia. These were celebrations dedicated to the god Saturn in order that the Roman people in general could celebrate longer days that began to come after the winter solstice. For the festivities, were produced a round cakes with figs, dates and honey, which were distributed equally among commoners and slaves. Already in the third century, into the sweet introduced a dry bean, and fortunate that he played was named King of Kings for a short period of time in advance. Since Roman times there were games of bean in the Iberian Peninsula.
- 350 gr of flour.
- 25 g of fresh yeast.
- 130 g of whole milk.
- 100 grams of sugar.
- 75 grams of unsalted butter.
- 1 egg + 1 yolk.
- Zest of 1 orange ..
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom scent for power applications.
- 1 pinch of salt.
- To decorate the cake: candied fruit, sugar and sliced almonds.
- Utensils needed: paint brush, paper wrap and several sheets of baking paper.
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Of the 350 grams of flour, knead 30 to reserve. The rest of the sift flour in a bowl. We added in the center orange zest, sugar, milk, butter, whole egg, a splash of rum, orange blossom scent and salt.
- Knead on a floured surface, when it does not hit you in the fingers form a ball, put it in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let reposar2 or three hours.
- After this time, it's time to shape the dough. Knead the dough to get the air, form a ball and make a hole in the middle and we will be opening up a big donut and nailed a bean inside the dough dry.
- We cover the baking tray with baking paper and put up the big donut. The brush with the beaten egg yolk and decorate with candied fruit, sugar and almonds.
- Bake at 160 ° for 25 minutes. We serve it cold.